PLEASANTON, Calif., March 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) is joining forces with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP), to improve the health and well-being of Americans. As a member of the USDA CNPP Nutrition Communicators Network, Safeway will work with a broad range of companies and industry organizations to develop and promote dietary guidance that links scientific research to the nutrition needs of consumers.
"Empowering our shoppers and employees to make the right nutritional choices for themselves and their families is paramount in the way we do business," said Steve Burd, chairman, president and chief executive officer for Safeway. "We are very excited about the USDA partnership as it underscores our commitment to health and wellness and provides a natural extension to the work we're already doing to help Americans make informed, healthier choices when shopping in our stores and in their daily lives."As the largest national grocery chain to become a National Strategic Partner in the Nutrition Communicators Network, Safeway is well positioned to help drive the group's food retail-based effort. This partnership marks the continuation of Safeway's food industry leadership as an innovator in health, wellness, and nutrition offerings. "Retailers are critical to helping our vision become a reality because they have the opportunity to impact and educate consumers at the store and on the shelf," said Robert Post, deputy director of USDA's CNPP. "We look forward to partnering with Safeway and embrace the expertise they bring to our efforts in encouraging Americans to adopt a healthier lifestyle." Through in-store and online programs, innovative brands and expert pharmacy services, Safeway is committed to providing its shoppers with the knowledge and products they need to enjoy healthier lives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV