ERIE, Pa., March 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- "Laugh and the world laughs with you" is a mantra that has been embraced by many in the car insurance industry in recent years, with some companies spending hundreds of millions of dollars on ads that use humor to get attention. While laughter might be an easy way to entertain, a new survey from Erie Insurance reveals that the onslaught of car insurance ads focused on price are causing some consumers to forget about coverage.
The majority of survey respondents (68 percent) agreed that most funny car insurance ads were about saving money. While respondents ranked coverage as the most important consideration when shopping for car insurance, three-quarters (74 percent) admitted that the blitz of car insurance commercials focused on price have caused them to forget about coverage choices that affect how well they are protected.
"People are making very serious decisions about their financial well-being based on punch lines," said Cody Cook, vice president and product manager at Erie Insurance. "Insurance is complex. Making a decision based on price alone and without the consultation of an insurance expert can have serious repercussions."Interestingly, more than half of survey respondents admitted that even after they bought car insurance, they still weren't certain they had made the right decision. When asked to define basic insurance terms:
- Forty-eight percent thought Liability or Comprehensive coverage paid for the damage they caused to their vehicle if it hit another object. Collision coverage pays for the damage to one's vehicle if he/she is at fault in an accident; and
- Fifty-four percent thought an Affirmation or Premium was the term for changes and/or additions to a policy. The correct term is an Endorsement. Affirmation isn't an insurance term.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV