Obama Leadership Fails in Phony 'JOBS' Act
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Lately I've been wondering who has more reason to be annoyed with President Obama -- Republicans and conservatives, or the Democrats and progressives who are, supposedly, his "base" (in the sense that they, uh, got him elected in the first place). It seems to me that if you more or less fall into the latter category, you've got a lot more reason to be annoyed with the president than if you belong to the former category.
What has gotten my mind twirling in this direction is a simply atrocious piece of legislation that is grinding its way to passage on Capitol Hill. It's called the Jump-Start Our Business Start-Ups Act, which the president has endorsed.
Like a lot of bad legislation its title is positively Orwellian. Honestly, folks, I just don't know where to begin, this bill is so bad. John Coffee, a prominent securities law professor at Columbia, has called it the "boiler room legalization act." That's because of its unbelievably na´ve (at best) "crowd-funding" provision, which I dealt with in this column back in September.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV