Energy Transfer Equity (NYSE: ETE) and Southern Union Company (NYSE: SUG) today announced the preliminary results of the elections made by Southern Union stockholders regarding their preferences as to the form of merger consideration they will receive in connection with Southern Union’s pending merger with ETE, which is currently expected to be completed on or about March 26, 2012.
As previously announced, under the terms of the Second Amended and Restated Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of July 19, 2011, as amended (the “Merger Agreement”), among Southern Union, ETE and Sigma Acquisition Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of ETE, Southern Union stockholders could elect to exchange each outstanding share of Southern Union common stock for $44.25 of cash or 1.00x ETE common unit, with no more than 60% of the aggregate merger consideration payable in cash and no more than 50% of the aggregate merger consideration payable in ETE common units. Elections in excess of either the cash or common unit limits will be subject to proration.
Based on available information as of the election deadline of 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time, on March 19, 2012, the preliminary merger consideration election results were as follows:
• Holders of approximately 55% of outstanding Southern Union shares, or 68,644,424 Southern Union shares, elected to receive cash. This includes 15,522,372 shares subject to guaranteed delivery procedures.• Holders of approximately 45% of outstanding Southern Union shares, or 56,212,227 Southern Union shares, will receive ETE common units. This amount is comprised of 38,973,314 Southern Union shares for which holders elected to receive ETE common units (which includes 4,350,144 shares subject to guaranteed delivery procedures), and 17,238,913 Southern Union shares for which holders either did not make an election or did not deliver a valid election form prior to the election deadline and, therefore, will be deemed to have elected to receive ETE common units.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts