10 Tech Start-Ups Whose Sizzle Fizzled
Clear (Verified Identity Pass)
Some start-ups are resurrected from the dead after a first bout with failure.
The company Verified Identity Pass launched its Clear service as a pre-screening effort that could unclog the tie-ups created by tightened airport security after 9/11.
An announcement sent to Clear's 250,000 customers in June 2009 announced that, due to a financing snag, it would cease operations. Founder Steven Brill (who also founded CourtTV, the predecessor to truth) had been pushed out of the company by investors the year before.Beyond money woes, other issues contributed to the demise. The Clear service was recognized at only 22 of roughly 600 national airports, for example, and never had the full support of the TSA. Now, under the ownership of Alclear, Clear is back. According to a press release this month: "Travelers through Orlando International Airport and Denver International Airport have used Clear ... more than half a million times" as of March 12. It adds that Clear expects to launch services at San Francisco International Airport in the second quarter. Billed as "the first and only biometric-based secure identification program for airport passenger security," Clear membership now costs $179 for one year with unlimited use. -- Written by Joe Mont in Boston. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV