10 Tech Start-Ups Whose Sizzle Fizzled
Born to be sold.
If a tech start-up could get a tattoo, that's what the ink might say.
Some big buzz tech start-ups don't fade away to the "where are they now" file because they are failures, per se, but because they get absorbed into a larger entity.That was the case for (tiny), or Tiny Pictures, a company that specialized in photo sharing. Its best-known service, Radar, was a Web site and application that unlike its competitor, Flickr, was specially designed to let mobile phone and smartphone users share content. That sharing could be restricted to only certain people, and comments could be added. Radar.net launched in 2006, a year after (tiny) was founded. At peak, it had more than 750,000 registered users, but never managed to maintain, much less add to, that core base. Despite having raised more than $11 million in capital investment, it sold to Shutterfly in 2010 for just $1.3 million in cash and $1.3 million in restricted stock to employees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV