10 Tech Start-Ups Whose Sizzle Fizzled
In 2009, two location-sharing services, Gowalla and Foursquare, went to battle. Today, only one remains.
Gowalla had a lot going for it, including a novel concept, a focus on leveraging check-ins for event recommendation and an attractive interface. What it didn't have is as many users as Foursquare, despite launching two years earlier. Just as Facebook once struck a chord with users MySpace didn't, Gowalla found itself an also-ran to Foursquare.
In December, it was announced Gowalla was sold to Facebook, a deal that culminated this month with the service going offline (although an online message suggests that users may eventually get a new interface for downloading their "passport" data).The terms of that deal have yet to be made public, although published reports have claimed that the deal does not include user data. Gowalla isn't the only location-based service acquired recently. Loopt, another pioneer in the field, was bought for $43.4 million in cash this month by Green Dot (GDOT), a leading provider of prepaid Mastercard (MA) and Visa (V) cards. The deal was touted as strengthening Green Dot's push into the realm of mobile payments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV