Are Cupcakes Still a Sweet Spot for Business?
By Katie Little, Special to CNBC
NEW YORK ( CNBC) -A handful of big-name players within the cupcake industry are betting that America's cupcake obsession will continue as they embark upon ambitious expansion plans.
Recent data backs up this confectionery gamble -- but with a caveat. Growth within the cake decoration stores industry is expected to slow to 3.7 percent annually over the next five years, according to an October 2011 report from research firm IBISWorld. This forecast represents a dip from the 4.9 percent growth that the industry was predicted to have enjoyed during the past five years.
"The market is becoming more and more saturated as cupcake stores open, but ones like Crumbs (CRMB) or Sprinkles that have a more recognizable brand can succeed," said Mary Nanfelt, the report's author.
| More from CNBC
14-Year-Old Buys Distressed Florida Home For $12,000
Sprint Bankruptcy Risks Are Rising: Bernstein
Kiddie Couture: Designers Cash In On Childrenswear Boom
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV