Are Cupcakes Still a Sweet Spot for Business?
By Katie Little, Special to CNBC
NEW YORK (CNBC) -A handful of big-name players within the cupcake industry are betting that America's cupcake obsession will continue as they embark upon ambitious expansion plans.
Recent data backs up this confectionery gamble -- but with a caveat. Growth within the cake decoration stores industry is expected to slow to 3.7 percent annually over the next five years, according to an October 2011 report from research firm IBISWorld. This forecast represents a dip from the 4.9 percent growth that the industry was predicted to have enjoyed during the past five years.
"The market is becoming more and more saturated as cupcake stores open, but ones like Crumbs (CRMB) or Sprinkles that have a more recognizable brand can succeed," said Mary Nanfelt, the report's author.
More from CNBC
14-Year-Old Buys Distressed Florida Home For $12,000
Sprint Bankruptcy Risks Are Rising: Bernstein
Kiddie Couture: Designers Cash In On Childrenswear Boom
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV