UPS (UPS) may be a well-run company, Jim Cramer says, but he is concerned about the company's recent purchase of Dutch rival TNT. UPS paid a premium for TNT at a time when European markets are showing little growth.
"Is this the right time? And I say is this the right time because I am not hearing any growth out of Europe other than Germany. Now maybe the German business is so strong it makes senses. Maybe people feel like that UPS is taking a long view. I would not have done this deal unless I felt that maybe FedEx was going to buy them as a competitive deal," Cramer said.
Cramer says that a slowdown in Europe could hold back the American economy. By owning UPS, an investor is doubling down on that risk by being in both markets. FedEx (FDX), without that European exposure is a better buy. Though he thinks UPS is a well-run company with a nice dividend, he says it has to come down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV