4. U.S. Bancorp
Shares of U.S. Bancorp (USB) of Minneapolis closed at $31.65 Friday, returning 17% year-to-date, following a 2% return during 2011.
Following its passing of the Federal Reserve's 2012 stress tests with flying colors, U.S. Bancorp last Wednesday announced it would U.S. Bancorp announced that it would increase its quarterly dividend to 19.5 from 12.5 cents and that it had authorized a new program to buy back up to 100 million shares, replacing the company's previous buyback program.Based on the new payout, the shares have a 2.46% dividend yield. The shares trade for 2.9 times tangible book value, and for 12 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $2.69. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $2.92. While those valuations look high in the current environment, especially the price-to-book ratio, U.S. Bancorp has distinguished itself with strong, steady earnings performance through the credit crisis. The company's 2011 return on average assets of 1.51% was, by far, the highest among this group of 10 Midwest banks. Interested in more on U.S. Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV