Shares of FirstMerit (FMER) of Akron, Ohio, closed at $17.21 Friday returning 15% year-to-date, following a 20% decline during 2011.
Based on a 16-cent quarterly payout, the shares have a dividend yield of 3.72%.FirstMerit earned $119.6 million, or $1.10 a share during 2011, increasing from $102.9 million, or $1.02 a share, during 2010. At the KBW Boston Bank Conference on Feb. 29, FirstMerit CEO Paul Greig said that the company had "earned money 51 consecutive quarters, with "returns on average assets and equity are strong versus our peers." The 2011 ROA was 0.82%, putting the company in the middle of this group of 10 Midwest bank holding companies. KBW analyst Christopher McGratty rates FirstMerit "Market Perform," with a $14 price target, saying on March 2 that he company remained "well-positioned to pursue attractive M&A opportunities in the Chicagoland market, and we anticipate the company will remain a disciplined and selective buyer." McGratty estimates that FirstMerit will earn $1.15 a share during 2012, followed by EPS of $1.25 in 2013. The shares trade for 1.7 times tangible book value, and for 15 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $1.13. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $1.21. Interested in more on FirstMerit? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV