1. Fifth Third Bancorp
Shares of Fifth Third Bancorp of Cincinnati closed at $14.33 Friday, returning 13% year-to-date, following an 11% decline during 2011.
The company last Wednesday announced that the Federal Reserve had rejected Fifth Third's plan to increase its quarterly dividend from the current payout of eight cents, and also objected to common share buybacks, except for "the repurchase of common shares in an amount equal to any after-tax gains realized by Fifth Third from the sale of Vantiv, Inc. common shares by either Fifth Third or Vantiv," which has made preliminary filings for a public offering.
Based on the current payout, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.23%.The shares trade for 1.4 times tangible book value, and for 10 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $1.40. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $1.54. Last Tuesday, after the stress test results were made public, Morgan Stanley analyst Ken Zerbe predicted that Fifth Third would submit a new capital plan to the Fed, and would "receive approval for a roughly 60% combined payout ratio in 2012 (perhaps weighted more toward the back half of the year), equating to buybacks of 3.6% of shares outstanding." Zerbe said that Fifth Third remained one of his firm's top bank stock picks, "due to its strong profitability, aggressive approach to capital management, and large fee income base." The analyst's price target for Fifth Third is $18, implying 26% upside from Friday's close. Zerbe estimates Fifth Third will earn $1.45 a share this year, followed by 2013 EPS of $1.50. Interested in more on Fifth Third Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 10 Midwest Bank Stocks Finally Paying Off portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. To contact the writer, click here: Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV