A similar pattern was seen for those using atypical antipsychotics; while males had the highest use in childhood, females were more likely to be prescribed these drugs in adulthood. However, the rate of growth increased more rapidly for men than women over the decade.
"These findings confirm that mental illness is a growing problem in the United States and that more patients are seeking needed therapy," said Muzina. "However, adequate monitoring by pharmacists and physicians and an open patient dialogue is imperative due to the complexities of mental illness and the risk of taking these medications inappropriately."
Patients suffering from behavioral health disorders along with other related conditions benefit from the expertise of Medco's specialist pharmacists who have advanced training and expertise in these and other health conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, pulmonary conditions and cancer. Specialist pharmacist are also better equipped to identify and address medication adherence problems which is especially important for those with mental health conditions since research shows these patients are more prone to poor adherence with medications used to treat comorbidities such as diabetes, asthma and heart disease and, in general, have poorer health outcomes.
For more information on mental health medication use, visit America's State of Mind Report at
About Medco Medco Health Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MHS) is pioneering The world's most advanced pharmacy® and its clinical research and innovations are part of Medco making medicine smarter™ for millions of Americans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV