NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Bank of America (BAC) shares are up 76% year to date as they try to regain $10, but questions remain about whether the bank can grow earnings at a sufficient clip to sustain the rally.
Annual earnings growth of 9.78% over the next 15 years is already priced into the shares of Bank of America, according to a Keefe, Bruyette & Woods research report published Monday, while both JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC) share prices imply a growth rate of roughly 6%. KBW has "outperform" ratings on both Wells Faro and JPMorgan, while it rates Bank of America "market perform."
Bank of America has been shrinking and selling off assets in order to bolster its balance sheet against housing-related shocks. While those efforts have reassured investors and regulators that Bank of America can survive without significant new equity issuance, there are still doubts about the bank's earnings strength.
10 Mid-Cap Stocks That Have Almost Doubled in 2012
Stifel Nicholaus analyst Chris Mutascio, for example, cut his estimate of "normalized" earnings at Bank of America to $1.14 from $1.85 following its fourth quarter earnings report, pointing to lower fee income, a higher share count, higher operating expenses and a smaller balance sheet. Unlike his peers, who have an earlier time table, Mutascio believes it will take Bank of America until 2014 to reduce operating expenses to where they need to be to earn $1.14 per year. Mutascio sees Bank of America earning just $0.80 in 2013.
However, if housing declines another 10-15% and mortgage losses are worse than expected, Goldberg believes Bank of America shares could return to the $5 mark. Bank of America is likely to get some help, however, if long-term Treasury rates sustain their recent rise.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV