BALTIMORE, March 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Residents and businesses within the existing 410 and 443 area codes serving the eastern Maryland region should prepare for the introduction of a new area code.
Beginning Saturday ( March 24), customers who request new service, add an additional line or, in some cases, move their service, may be assigned a number in the new 667 area code.
To ensure a continuing supply of new telephone numbers for the state, the Maryland Public Service Commission ordered 667 to be a new area code "overlay" covering the same geographic area that the 410 and 443 area codes serve.
Numbers currently in the 410 and 443 area codes will not change, and a local call will remain a local call. The new 667 area code will not be assigned until all phone numbers within the existing area codes have been depleted."Since more people than ever before are using cellular phones, fax machines, computer modems and other telecommunications devices, we soon will use up all of the telephone numbers in the 410 and 443 area codes," said Karen I. Campbell, Verizon's vice president of government affairs – Mid-Atlantic region. "So a new area code will be added in Maryland." Campbell said Verizon has ensured that its network will recognize and will be able to seamlessly connect calls from customers of other telecommunications carriers that may issue numbers with the new 667 area code. The most important facts that residence and business customers need to know about the upcoming 667 area code overlay are:
- Their telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- They will continue to dial the area code plus the seven-digit telephone number for all local calls and a 1 plus the area code and seven-digit telephone number for all long-distance calls.
- Calls between the 667, 410 and 443 area codes that are now local calls will remain so.
- The price of a call, the coverage area and other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- Consumers and businesses will still dial just three digits to reach 911.
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 are currently available in a particular community, consumers and businesses will still dial these codes with just three digits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV