CHICAGO, March 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cars.com, the premier online resource for new- and used-car buyers, announced today the Honda Fit as the winner of its $16,000 Subcompact Shootout. Honda's Fit won the first-place prize in a competition between seven popular subcompact cars that seat four, have four doors, get at least 35 mpg on the highway, and can be purchased for less than $16,000.
"The term 'econobox' is gone, as today's subcompacts are better built, more efficient and safer," said Patrick Olsen, editor-in-chief of Cars.com. "As gas prices and used-car prices continue to rise, a shootout like this acts as a guide for consumers looking to purchase a new subcompact as an alternative to a used vehicle. In addition to confident handling, a solid transmission, great visibility and unmatched practicality, the Honda Fit is just fun to drive and emerged as our clear winner."
Experts from Cars.com, USA Today and "MotorWeek" tested these subcompacts to measure all of the needs of the average car-buyer including gas mileage, practicality, user features and comfort.
The testing included:
- 200 miles of both highway and stop-and-go driving to determine each subcompact's observed gas mileage.
- Driving of every car by experts to measure each vehicle for features, ride quality, styling and comfort.
- Thorough analysis and driving by an average car-buying couple who joined our experts to give their impressions on each subcompact.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts