Ford, Whirlpool: S&P Laggards
The S&P 500 rose 1.57 points, or 0.11%, to close at 1,404.17. The index is sitting at its best levels since June 2008 after logging a 2.4% gain in the past five sessions, its best weekly performance in three months. Year-to-date, the S&P 500 is up 11.5% on a price basis.
Ford shares fell 3.02% to $12.51. The company is extending the maturity of its $9 billion revolving credit line by two years, according to Bloomberg.
Ford shares trade at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 7.42X; the average for car companies is 15.2X. For comparison, General Motors (GM) has a lower forward P/E of 5.5X.Fifteen of the 23 analysts who cover Ford rate it at buy; eight analysts give the stock a hold rating. TheStreet Ratings gives Ford a B grade with a buy rating and $14.39 price target. The stock has risen 16.26% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV