Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley, for example, expects that Apple will ship well over a million iPads this weekend. The analyst also expects Apple to ship a total of 12.5 million iPads during its March quarter, up from 4.69 million in the same period last year.
Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster recently said that Apple could sell more than a million iPads on Friday alone, citing the company's previous product launches.
Unveiled in a blaze of publicity in San Francisco last week, the new iPad boasts a high-resolution Retina Display and the capability to run on high-speed 4G LTE networks from the likes of AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ).The first "teardown" of the new device appeared on Thursday, with Broadcom (BRCM) and Qualcomm (QCOM) among the big component winners. There was also a hint this week that Apple's next iPhone could be a 4G LTE offering , courtesy of a Verizon Wireless executive. Shares of Apple, which briefly surpassed $600 for the first time on Thursday, closed at $585.57 on Friday.
This week was a busy one for tech M&A, with Cisco (CSCO), Dell (DELL) and Avaya all opening their wallets. On Thursday, Cisco confirmed its intent to acquire NDS, a developer of software for multichannel television networks, in a deal worth around $5 billion. The networking giant will use NDS to boost is Videoscape offering, which lets service providers deliver content over multiple devices. On the same day, Avaya announced its $230 million acquisition of videoconferencing and telepresence specialist Radvision (RVSN), while on Tuesday, Dell grabbed network security firm SonicWALL for a rumored $1.5 billion. Cisco shares closed the week up 12 cents, or 0.6%, at $20.03, while Dell was down 5 cents, or 0.29%, at $17.30. > >> Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV