Breaking Down the Delegate Dance, Part II
Illinois, March 20
Illinois has 69 delegates available as the state will host a "loophole" primary that is an unusual two-step process.
Illinois holds a popular vote primary on Tuesday as voters will indicate on ballots their preferred candidate. What's unusual is that each congressional district -- there are 18 in the state -- distributes a ballot with a list of district delegates to be directly elected by the voters. Each district delegate will be individually listed on those congressional district ballots with the candidates' presidential preference indicated. The popular vote primary has no bearing on the directly elected district delegates in each of the congressional districts. There are 54 total delegates up for grabs in this process, and all of them go to the national convention.The next step of Illinois' election takes place from June 8 to June 9, when the state GOP holds a convention to choose 12 unbound delegates for the national convention. The final three delegates are party leaders in Illinois who attend the national convention unbound.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV