One stock in the biotechnology and drugs complex that's just starting to trigger a breakout trade today is Elan (ELN), a neuroscience-based biotechnology company. Elan is focused on discovering and developing advanced therapies in neurodegenerative and autoimmune diseases. This stock hasn't done much in 2012, with shares up just 7.5%.
A Jefferies analyst today light a fire under this stock after they said the stock should start moving ahead of bapi data. Those comments have pushed shares of Elan into new 52-week-high territory.
If you look at the chart for Elan, you'll see that this stock has been trading range bound for the past few months, between $14.40 on the upside and around $12 on the downside. Now just today shares of ELN are starting to break out above that near-term overhead resistance at $14.40 with monster volume.>>6 Hot Stocks on Traders' Radars At last check, volume today is already over 5.1 million shares which is well above its three-month average action of 3.36 million shares. Volume on Thursday (also up day) was also huge with 6.73 million shares traded. Traders should now watch ELN for a sustained high-volume move and close above $14.40 a share to signal that this stock wants to trend significantly higher. I would also look for ELN to close near its daily highs today as a sign of strength. If we get that action today or soon, then look for ELN to make a run at $20 a share or possibly much higher. Traders should now look for long biased trades in ELN as long as the stock is trending above that key breakout level of $14.40 a share. I would simply use a mental stop that's a few percentage points below $14.40 if you get long into this strength, in case this breakout fails. Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV