One medical equipment and supplies player that's trading within range of a big breakout is Intuitive Surgical (ISRG), which designs, manufactures and markets da Vinci Surgical Systems and related instruments and accessories. This stock is off to a decent start in 2012, with shares up over 13%.
If you take a look at the chart for Intuitive Surgical, you'll notice that this stock has been uptrending strong for the past six months, rising from its October low of $341.21 to its current price of around $527. During that uptrend, this stock has consistently made higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish price action. Now ISRG is trading within range of triggering a near-term breakout.
Market players should watch ISRG for a breakout trade if this stock can manage to take out some near-term overhead resistance at $533 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained high-volume move or close above that level that registers near or well above its three-month average volume of 343,716 shares. If we get that action soon, look for ISRG to make a run at $550 or higher in the near future.Traders should look for long biased trades in ISRG if that breakout does trigger soon with decent to high-volume. I would use some near-term support at around $520 as a mental stop if you buy off weakness. You could also just buy off strength and get long once $533 is taken out with volume. Intuitive Surgical, which shows up on a list of Health Care Stocks Bought and Sold by Hedge Funds, was also featured this week in " 5 Rocket Stocks Ready to Launch Higher." Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV