WINDERMERE, Fla. ( Stockpickr) -- Stocks struggled for direction Friday, one day after the S&P 500 hit 1,400 for the first time in nearly four years. The Dow Jones Industrial Average registered its seventh straight day of gains on Thursday and closed at its highest level since December of 2007, while the Nasdaq closed at its highest level since November of 2000.
The recent up move in the markets has taken many traders by surprise, which goes to show that following the prevailing trend will give you the highest probability of making money. Many traders have been trying to pick tops in the market and leading stocks, but that has shown to be the wrong move to make.
At last check, the Dow was trading up 6 points, and the S&P 500 was trading up 2 points. The tech-heavy Nasdaq was moving higher by 2 points. The Dow Jones Industrial Average is now squarely above its key psychological level of 13,000. The Nasdaq is also 55 points above its key psychological level of 3,000. If the market can continue to trend higher and hold these psychological levels, then a number of sectors and stocks re going to break out and trend much higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV