ALTOONA, Pa., March 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The first locomotive to be painted in Norfolk Southern's (NYSE: NSC) 30 th anniversary heritage paint schemes rolled out of the company's Juniata Locomotive Shop here yesterday. Locomotive NS 8098, a GE ES44AC, bears the "Conrail Blue" scheme. It is a 4,400-horsepower, EPA Tier-3 compliant Evolution Series locomotive equipped with distributed power capability. It will be run to Conway, Pa., and enter active transportation service.
Norfolk Southern also announced that an additional legacy railroad, Penn Central, has been added to the 18 heritage schemes previously announced. This will be an SD70Ace to be painted at Progress Rail Services' facility in Muncie, Ind. The Penn Central Transportation Company was created in 1968 from the merger of the New York Central and the Pennsylvania Railroad, and the New York, New Haven and Hartford was added shortly afterward. Penn Central formed the core of Conrail when Conrail was created in 1976.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV