Gamma Knife Radiosurgery Gets Nod In Guinness World Records 2012 Edition For Halting Growth Of "World's Tallest Living Human"
ATLANTA, March 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sultan Kosen won't be posting new world records for height anymore, but that's just fine with him. The Gamma Knife® radiosurgery the 29-year-old Turkish man had in August 2010 has successfully stopped his growth at the height of 8 ft 3 in (251 cm). Mr. Kosen, who suffered the effects of acromegaly, has held the title of "World's Tallest Living Human" since September 2009, when his 8 ft plus stature edged 7 ft 9 in Xiu Xung from China.
In an item in the Guinness World Records 2012 Edition (page 84, U.S./U.K. versions), Guinness World Records recognized Mr. Kosen's Gamma Knife surgery by Dr. Jason Sheehan at the University of Virginia for finally putting a stop to the man's height gains, which were causing a host of health problems.
For 18 years, beginning at age 10, a tumor in Mr. Kosen's brain secreted enormous amounts of growth hormone. Gamma Knife radiosurgery was seen as the technique that offered the best chance of improving his acromegaly.
Leksell Gamma Knife radiosurgery, a gentler alternative to traditional brain surgery, delivers 192 low-intensity radiation beams to one or more targets and with pinpoint accuracy – in this case, Mr. Kosen's tumor.Read more at: http://tinyurl.com/7dqqs95. *Leksell Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ is a teletherapy device intended for stereotactic irradiation of head structures ranging from very small target sizes of a few millimeters to several centimeters e.g. metastatic tumors. For further information, please contact: Stina Thorman, Vice President Corporate Communications, Elekta AB Tel: +46 8 587 254 37, email: firstname.lastname@example.org Time zone: CET: Central European Time
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV