By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- One big investor apparently thinks that iStar Financial (SFI) is ready to catch fire.
OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems detected the purchase of more than 2,100 January 7.50 calls against previous open interest of just 721 contracts, indicating that this is fresh buying. Premiums shot up from $1.35 to $1.50 as the trades crossed.
Those calls lock in the price that the trader must pay to buy the stock in the next 10 months. They will provide significant leverage to a rally, doubling or tripling from a relatively small move in the share price. But if the stock fails to rise, those options will end up worthless.iStar, a highly leveraged and heavily shorted commercial real-estate lender, rose 2.4% to $7.25 Thursday. It's been consolidating around that level since late January, when it reported better-than-expected earnings as bad loans declined. Credit conditions have also been improving for commercial mortgages, with bankers expecting fewer defaults and easier lending standards. Given that backdrop, high short interest, and the relative cheapness of the stock, some investors may think that iStar is due for a rally -- especially because it trades at less than half its book value. Overall option volume in the name Thursday was quadruple its daily average, with not a single put changing hands in the session. Russell has no positions in SFI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV