An expert from the ifixit.com gadget Web site traveled to Australia to grab an iPad when they went on sale in the country on Thursday, U.S. time. The resulting teardown reveals that chip maker Broadcom (BRCM) has three components within the device. In addition to an FM transceiver chip, the Irvine, Calif.-based firm also has an I/O controller and a microprocessor in Apple's latest tablet.
Shares of Broadcom, which also has three chips within the Wi-Fi version of the iPad 2, closed up 90 cents, or 2.44%, at $37.75 on Thursday.
As expected, Qualcomm (QCOM) is also an iPad winner, with a power management chip lurking inside the tablet, as well an RF transceiver for 3G and 4G LTE and a wireless modem. Widely regarded as one of the best positioned companies for the push to 4G networks, Qualcomm previously provided a power management chip and a transceiver for the Verizon (VZ) CDMA version of the iPad 2.Qualcomm's stock closed up 10 cents, or 0.15%, at $65.21 on Thursday. Other companies with coveted slots in the new iPad include Texas Instruments (TXN), Cirrus Logic (CRUS), Fairchild Semiconductor (FCS), Avago (AVGO), Toshiba, Elpida (ELPDF) and Skyworks Solutions (SWKS), which has a front-end module in the tablet. Skyworks, however, had two power amplifier modules within the Verizon CDMA version of the iPad 2 and three transit modules in the AT&T iPad 2, according to ifixit.com. Shares of the Woburn, Mass.-based firm closed up 56 cents, or 2.02%, at $28.29 on Thursday. TriQuint (TQNT) also has a power amplifier module in the next-generation iPad, but this is one component less than the company had in the AT&T (T) GSM version of the iPad 2. Shares of TriQuint ended Thursday up 14 cents, or 2.15%, at $6.66. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV