United Community Financial Corp. (Company) (Nasdaq: UCFC), holding company of The Home Savings and Loan Company of Youngstown, Ohio (Home Savings), today reported consolidated net income of $7.9 million, or $0.25 per diluted share, for the three months ended December 31, 2011. This compares to a net loss of $17.3 million, or $(0.56) per diluted share, for the three months ended December 31, 2010. Current earnings have been positively impacted by the successful completion of the sale of four branches and gains recognized on the sale of securities. Fourth quarter earnings also benefited from the need for only $2.4 million in loan loss provision expense, down from $22.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. The Company also reported net income of $230,000, or $0.01 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2011, as compared to a net loss of $37.3 million, or $(1.22) per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2010.
Selected fourth quarter results:
- Delinquent loans declined $4.0 million from the prior quarter to $126.9 million
- Nonperforming loans declined $11.0 million from the prior quarter to $123.1 million
- Nonperforming assets declined $15.8 million from the prior quarter to $156.6 million
- Home Savings’ Tier 1 leverage ratio of 8.61% and the total risk based capital ratio of 14.57% both reflected increases from the prior quarter
- Tangible book value per share at December 31, 2011 was $5.78
Patrick W. Bevack, President and Chief Executive Officer of UCFC and Home Savings, commented that, “The year 2011 was a year of progress. During the year, not only did UCFC return to profitability, but more significantly, Home Savings has positioned itself for the future with very positive improvement in asset quality measures. Delinquent loans, nonperforming loans and nonperforming assets are all headed in the right direction.” Bevack further commented, “I was also pleased that the Company was successful in attracting additional capital from an investor in the fourth quarter.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV