Senators Advise Against Paying MF Global Bonuses
Abelow and Steenkamp testified at congressional hearings in December that they did not play a role in any decision to transfer customers' money.
No one has been charged in the MF Global case. The firm failed after a calamitous bet on European debt spooked its investors, trading partners and clients, becoming the eighth-largest corporate bankruptcy in U.S. history. Federal regulators, Congress and a federal grand jury in Chicago are investigating MF Global's failure and the disappearance of customers' money.
Much of the money belonged to farmers, ranchers and other business owners who used MF Global to reduce their risks from the fluctuating prices of commodities such as corn and wheat.
Corzine, who was co-chairman of Goldman Sachs before going into politics and serving as a Democratic senator and governor of New Jersey, resigned as MF Global CEO in November. He has testified that he didn't know any customer money was missing until Oct. 30, the day before MF Global's bankruptcy filing.Separately Thursday, another MF Global trustee, who is overseeing the liquidation of its brokerage operations, asked the bankruptcy court for permission to distribute an additional $685 million to customers. The trustee, James Giddens, already has returned $3.9 billion to customers. In his latest request, Giddens is seeking permission to give $50 million to customers who traded on foreign markets, the first such payment to those trading on foreign exchanges. He also wants to distribute up to $600 million to customers who traded commodity futures on U.S. exchanges and $35 million to owners of physical property. ___ AP Business Writer Matthew Craft in New York contributed to this story
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV