GeoEye (GEOY) is another big purchase by a major shareholder that has yet to pay off. Cerberus Capital has been steadily building an ever-larger position in satellite imaging provider GeoEye, which is one of two companies that provide high-resolution intelligence data for the U.S. and other governments.
Shares have taken a recent hit as budgetary pressures may make it hard for GeoEye to partake in a new advanced imaging project, known as Enhanced View. Even after those concerns have circulated, Cerberus has continued buying stock, averaging down at ever-lower levels.Paradoxically, if the U.S. government chooses to diminish its relationship with GeoEye, it could help the company snag an increasing level of foreign business, as it would no longer be seen as a captive U.S. client. At least that's what Cerberus is likely hoping will happen. GeoEye was also featured recently in "5 Stocks Ready to Soar on Bullish Earnings."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV