5. Dynavax Technologies (DVAX)
Company profile: Dynavax Technologies, with a market value of $672 million, is a clinical-stage biopharmaceuticals company, that develops novel products to prevent and treat infectious diseases.
Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 29% this year to $4.29, and have a three-year, average annual return of 79%. Analysts give Dynavax five "buy" ratings," per S&P. It's expected to lose 41 cents per share this year. The $1 billion Federated Kaufmann Small Cap Fund (FKASX), up 22% this year, made it its largest stake at just over 6% of its portfolio, or more than double that of the next largest holding.
4. Charles Schwab (SCHW)Company profile: Charles Schwab, with a market value of $19 billion, is in the brokerage, banking, and asset-management businesses. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 31% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 3%. Analysts give its shares five "buy" ratings, two "buy/holds," and 12 "holds," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. S&P says the firm's results are "heavily geared toward short-term interest rates, given that 37% of its top line came from net interest income in 2011," so results aren't likely to improve substantially until the Federal Reserve raises rates. 3. E*Trade Financial (ETFC) Company profile: E*Trade Financial, with a market value of $3 billion, is an online discount brokerage and bank. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 31% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 11.5%. Analysts give them one "buy/hold," 13 "holds," and one "weak hold," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. It's expected to earn 49 cents per share this year and that that will grow by 39% next year to 68 cents. For February, it reported that the number of daily average revenue trades rose by 16% from January, but are down 9% year-over-year. Also in February, net new brokerage assets rose by $1.9 billion in the month and it added 39,023 new brokerage accounts, ending the month with approximately 2.8 million such accounts. 2. Zynga (ZNGA - Get Report) Company profile: Zynga, with a market value of $10 billion, is a leader in the growing market for free online social games, with Facebook as a key partner. More than 90% of its revenue and bookings result from users playing games on Facebook. It's also mulling developing online gambling services beginning with poker. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 42% this year. The company went public on Dec. 16, raising $1 billion. Analysts give its shares four "strong buy" ratings, eight "holds," and two "strong sells," per TheStreet Ratings. JPMorgan recently downgraded the shares to "neutral" from "outperform" on valuation concerns. Zynga filed for a secondary stock offering of up to $400 million in order to allow some early investors to exit their holdings. The news was disclosed in a filing Wednesday with the S.E.C. The company said it is waiving the lock-up arrangement it had with some of its existing stockholders to facilitate the offering. 1. NXP Semiconductors (NXPI) Company profile: NXP Semiconductors, with a market value of $6.5 billion, is a Netherlands-based chip company. NXP posted revenue of $4.2 billion in 2011 and earnings of $1.71 per share. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 62% this year. Analysts give NXP four "strong buy" ratings and two "holds," according to a survey of analysts by TheStreet Ratings. It gets a "buy" rating from Goldman Sachs. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 10 Stocks Boosting Little Funds to Big Returns portfolio on Stockpickr.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.