10. Nuance Communications (NUAN)
Company profile: Nuance, with a market value of $8 billion, makes speech-recognition software for use in automated call centers, mobile phones, global positioning systems, and personal computers. Early this month, it announced the planned purchase of the medical transcription company Transcend Services, which will boost its presence in the health care business.
Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 3.7% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 41%. Analysts give its shares 13 "buy" ratings, two "buy/holds," three "holds," and one "sell," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. It's expected to earn $1.56 per share this year and earnings will grow 13% next year.
9. Celgene (CELG)Company profile: Celgene, with a market value of $33 billion, is a biopharmaceutical firm that develops therapeutics for the treatment of cancer and immunological diseases. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 12.5% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 16.4%. Analysts give the company 15 "buy" ratings, eight "buy/holds," and seven "holds," per S&P. S&P has it rated "strong buy" with a $93 price target, a 24% premium to the current price. The company is expected to earn $4.83 per share this year and $5.66 next year, a 17% increase. 8. CommVault Systems ( CVLT) Company profile: CommVault, with a market value of $23 billion, is the developer of the Simpana software package, which helps companies manage their storage resources, independent of platform or location. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 14% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 45%. Analysts give its shares three "buy" ratings, three "buy/holds," 10 "holds," and one "sell," a survey of analysts by S&P shows. S&P has the shares rated "hold" on valuation concerns, but said the company will gain market share and its growth will outpace that of the rest of its industry. 7. First BanCorp (FBP) Company profile: First BanCorp, with a market value of $806 million, is the holding company for FirstBank Puerto Rico, which operates more than 50 banking offices and supermarket branches in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 15% this year and have a three-year, average annual loss of 57%. Analysts give its shares one "buy" rating and one "hold," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. It earned $2.18 per share in 2011, a big turnaround from the losses of the prior two years. The $74 million Schneider Small Cap Value Fund (SCMVX), up 20.7% this year, has been buying regional bank stocks and late last year initiated a 2.4% portfolio stake in this company. 6. Rackspace Hosting (RAX) Company profile: Rackspace, with a market value of $7 billion, is a managed hosting and cloud computing provider. Cloud computing is the faster-growing market segment and recently reached more than 20% of overall revenue. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 29% this year and have a three-year, average annual return of 110%. Analysts give them five "buy" ratings, four "buy/holds," 10 "holds," and one "weak hold," according to a survey of analysts by S&P. It has 73% institutional investor ownership.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV