Former Wall Streeter LarryC2 added, "As someone who also went 'buddhist' from Wall Street some years ago, though from a less illustrious position than Smith's mind you, I agree...It's easier to be picky about the grey moral areas on Wall Street once you're set financially, especially if you're the type of person for whom some level of wealth is actually enough (for some there is no such level, God bless 'em). And the idea that GS tries to screw other people in the market as part of its basic culture, including its 'customers', is near the all-time top of no-sh*t-Sherlock 'revelations'."
Reader Dan Lee disagrees, writing that Smith did a brave thing. "I don't doubt that you aren't impressed. He did a brave thing but it wasn't fast enough for you, ergo, moral failure? If he had not reached the status he has his editorial would have been worthless. The knives have been sharpened for the retribution, which begins by undermining his character as part of the damage control."
J. Shindler also has Smith's back when it comes to putting a knife not just in his former employer Goldman's back but his own career: "This public message WILL cost Smith plenty. It was career suicide, and he may be sued to boot. For an ambitious person to speak up and thus become persona non grata within his industry definitely is a brave act."
Other readers were less interested in rating Smith's bravery on a scale of 1 to 10 and more interested in this question:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV