3 Times It's OK to Close Your Credit Card
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- We've always cautioned readers to think twice before closing a credit card since doing so could hurt your credit score.
Account closures can have an effect on your credit-to-debt utilization ratio, especially when the card in question has a particularly high credit limit. Additionally, they can cost you the bonus points awarded by certain models when you have what's considered an ideal number of cards in your wallet.
|It's always wise to think twice before closing a credit card, but there are situations where it's warranted.|
It can also have an impact on the age of the credit file, but not in the ways most people think. Closed accounts actually continue to appear on a person's credit report for 10 years after a customer has formally gotten rid of the card, so those who replace the card with another product aren't likely to see much damage down the road; their new cards will have supplemented their credit history.
Regardless of these potential consequences, there are certain instances where closing an account is certainly warranted. We take a look at these situations and outlines how you can minimize the damage done to your credit score.Your annual fee is too high.
Rewards cards are known for carrying high annual fees, which cardholders are required to pay whether they're actively using them or not. Those who aren't spending enough to reap the rewards and justify the annual fee may feel it's time to close the card and take their business elsewhere. (There are certainly decent rewards cards out there that don't have an annual fee attached.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV