Assurant: S&P Intraday Laggard
The S&P 500 rose 0.84 points, or 0.06%, to 1,395.12 early Thursday.
Shares of Assurant fell 3.13% to $40.84. A California regulator told insurance companies to lower their rates for people with previous residential policies that they have lapsed on, according to Bloomberg. Assurant is more reliant on this so-called lender-placed type of insurance coverage than some of its rivals.
Assurant has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 6.6 times; the average for life insurance companies is 11.28. For comparison, Aflac (AFL) has a lower forward P/E of 6.54; MetLife's (MET) forward P/E is 6.73.Eight of the 11 analysts who cover Assurant rated it hold; three analysts gave the stock a buy rating. TheStreet Ratings gives Assurant an A- grade with a buy rating and a $48.18 price target. The stock has fallen slightly year to date.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alexandra Zendrian >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Alexandra Zendrian.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV