Medtronic, Inc. (NYSE: MDT) today announced that it has received from Health Canada a license for Medtronic Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) Therapy for refractory epilepsy patients. Medtronic DBS therapy for refractory epilepsy delivers controlled electrical pulses to a location inside the brain which is involved in seizures.
The Health Canada license was based on data collected in Medtronic’s clinical trial called SANTE ® (Stimulation of the Anterior Nucleus of the Thalamus in Epilepsy). The SANTE trial was a prospective, randomized, double-blind pivotal study to evaluate the use of DBS therapy for patients with medically refractory epilepsy with partial-onset seizures. The trial collected data from 110 patients who were implanted with a Medtronic DBS system at 17 centers in the United States.
Medtronic DBS Therapy for refractory epilepsy is also approved in Europe. The therapy is not currently approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in the United States for the treatment of refractory epilepsy.
To date, more than 85,000 patients worldwide have received Medtronic DBS therapy. The therapy is currently licensed in Canada and approved in other regions including the European Union and the United States, for the treatment of the disabling symptoms of essential tremor, advanced Parkinson's disease and dystonia, for which approval in the United States is under a Humanitarian Device Exemption (HDE) 1. The therapy is also approved for the treatment of severe, treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder not adequately controlled by medications in the European Union and in the United States under an HDE 2.“Medtronic is a pioneer in the field of neuromodulation,” said Lothar Krinke, Ph.D., vice president and general manager for the Deep Brain Stimulation business in Medtronic’s Neuromodulation division. “We are proud of the expansion of indications to include epilepsy, which will allow more patients to benefit from our DBS therapy. This Medtronic First innovation provides a viable option for patients who are not responsive to other therapies. This follows closely the Canadian launch of the RestoreSensor ™ neurostimulator for chronic pain, another Medtronic first. ” Medtronic’s Leadership in NeuromodulationMedtronic developed and leads the field of neuromodulation, the targeted and regulated delivery of electrical pulses and pharmaceuticals to specific sites in the nervous system. The company’s Neuromodulation business includes neurostimulation and implantable, targeted drug delivery systems for the management of chronic pain, common movement disorders, spasticity and urologic and gastrointestinal disorders. Medtronic of Canada’s innovative neuromodulation portfolio includes the following technologies:
- RestoreSensor ™ neurostimulator with AdaptiveStim™ technology: the world’s first and only pain-management device designed to sense a change in the patient’s body position or activity and automatically adjust stimulation to deliver the right amount of pain relief.
- Activa® PC (Primary Cell), Activa® SC (Single Channel), and Activa® RC (Rechargeable Cell): The Activa line of neurostimulators includes the first rechargeable neurostimulator in Canada, with all three products featuring the most advanced multi-programming capabilities in Canada. Activa® PC is the neurostimulator licensed for use in refractory epilepsy. Only the ACTIVA family of neurostimulators provides clinicians with the ability to deliver stimulation in constant voltage or constant current mode, providing physicians with a choice based on their preference and clinical needs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV