- Don’t rely on the postal system for establishing tax rate - Many companies use the postal system to verify addresses to establish the rate payable for various taxes such as sales tax, payroll tax and personal property tax. The postal system was designed to deliver mail not determine taxation and the postal boundaries do not align with the taxing areas. Also a number of premises are not assigned postal addresses, often leading to miscalculations. In addition, 20-30 percent of municipalities change their boundaries each year, making it difficult to keep up with precise tax jurisdictions. Companies need to access and upload a verified tax code provider list in order to manage each location.
- Calculate the sales tax requirements for all sales locations - This is particularly important for companies selling goods or services over the Internet. Traditionally it has been a consumer responsibility to declare out-of-state Internet purchases and pay use tax, an impractical process to date. As a result states are moving to place the burden on the seller and many businesses have voluntarily signed up to aid in this effort. Congress is currently considering federal law changes that will mandate sellers to collect sales tax.
- Closely track any mobile assets to establish their whereabouts - Companies must establish the location of all the mobile assets. From vending machines to telephone cable, each is taxed and often audited according to their exact location on a given date. A company’s capability to track their mobile assets closely can save significant time and money.
- Undertake a detailed assessment of the location where an employee is working at all times - It is crucial to establish where employees work and live in order to apply the correct tax withholdings. Some states like Ohio and Pennsylvania have highly complex rules for payroll tax based on where people are living and working. If an employee splits their time between multiple office locations, even within the same state, this can have a dramatic impact on the rate they must pay.
- Calculate all of the above on at least a quarterly basis - Don’t wait until you are in the same quarter as tax deadline day to start scrambling to organize the accounts and check geolocational data. Make this a regular habit and, at a minimum, carry out a thorough inventory on a quarterly basis.
Pitney Bowes Software Unveils Top Business Tips For Managing Geolocational Tax Requirements
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.