CHICAGO, March 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A whopping 98 percent of our nation's middle-income retirees state that good health is extremely important to a satisfying retirement, yet many fall short when it comes to implementing a simple step to safeguard their health. That's according to a new study released by the Bankers Life and Casualty Company Center for a Secure Retirement(SM) (CSR).
The CSR's Retirement Healthcare for Middle-Income Americans study of 400 pre-Medicare Boomers (age 47 to 64) and 400 older adults (age 65 to 75) with an annual household income of between $25,000 and $75,000, found that less than half (42 percent) take advantage of Medicare's annual wellness visit.
Fewer than half (47 percent) of women and only one-third (32 percent) of men used this preventive care service in a one year period.
When it comes to understanding what it takes to live a healthy lifestyle, middle-income Boomers and seniors agree that knowledge comes after age 40.Nine in ten (93 percent) middle-income Americans age 47 to 75 feel they have a greater awareness of healthy living now than when they were in their 20s and 89 percent say they are in similar or better health than their parents were at their age. Good health is important at any age but it takes on added significance for people as they enter their retirement years. Therefore, it is not surprising to see that many have taken steps to improve their health. Nearly all (94 percent) middle-income American age 47 to 75 indicate that they have taken at least one step to improve their health in the past few years, including improving their diet and eating habits (77 percent), taking steps to reduce stress (65 percent) and doing mental and physical exercises (64 percent and 56 percent respectively).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV