NEW YORK (TheStreet Ratings) -- TheStreet.com Ratings initiated coverage of 15 exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, that accrued a sufficient track record of risk and performance data by the end of February 2012. All 15 newly rated exchange-traded funds start out at 'Sell' by underperforming previously rated ETFs. Only six of the 15 fund turned in a positive, initial one year return.
None of the newly rated fund that opened for business February 2011 received a 'Buy' rating of B-, or better. Also, none of the newly rated ETFs started in the 'Hold' range of C+ down to C-.
Here are the 15 newly rated ETFs ranked at 'Sell':
15. Teucrium Natural Gas FundTeucrium Natural Gas Fund (NAGS) seeks to have its net asset value reflect the daily changes in percentage terms of its benchmark. The fund's benchmark is the nearest to spot month March, April, October and November Henry Hub natural gas futures contracts traded on the NYMEX, weighted 25% equally in each contract month. Expense Ratio: 1.50% One Year Total Return: -46.9% Rated "E+" by TheStreet Ratings:
14. FactorShares 2X: S&P500 Bull/TBond BearFactorShares 2X: S&P500 Bull/TBond Bear (FSE) seeks to track the spread between the US Equity and long dated US Treasury market segment by establishing long and short leverage position. The Funs seeks to invest +200% of its value to the Equity Index Futures Contract and -200% to the value of its Treasury Index Futures Contract. Expense Ratio: 0.75% One Year Total Return: -45.1% Rated "E" by TheStreet Ratings:
13. FactorShares 2X: Oil Bull/S&P500 BearFactorShares 2X: Oil Bull/S&P500 Bear (FOL) seeks to track the spread, or the difference in daily returns between the oil and US equity market primarily by establishing long and short leveraged positions. The fund invests +200% to oil index futures contracts on light sweet crude and -200% to E-mini equity index futures contracts. Expense Ratio: 0.75% One Year Total Return: -27.9% Rated "E+" by TheStreet Ratings:
12. ProShares UltraShort TIPSProShares UltraShort TIPS (TPS) seeks daily investment results that correspond to 200% of the inverse daily performance of the underlying index. The fund invests in derivatives that ProShares advisors believes should have similar daily performance characteristics as twice the inverse of the daily return of the Barclays Capital US Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) Index. Expense Ratio: 0.95% One Year Total Return: -24.3% Rated "D" by TheStreet Ratings:
11. WisdomTree Managed Futures Strategy FundWisdomTree Managed Futures Strategy Fund (WDTI) seeks to provide investors with positive total returns in rising or falling markets. The fund invests substantially all of its assets in a combination of commodity and currency linked investments and fixed income securities designed to correspond to the performance of the Benchmark.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV