During the early-year run up, mid-cap stocks have actually led the pack. Investors who bought up shares of the iShares S&P Mid-Cap 400 Index Fund (IJH) have enjoyed nearly 15% gains.
In addition to this upside action, the fund also managed to hold up better in the face of last week's shakeup. Although it suffered a downturn as EU debt fears and China growth concerns dominated headlines, IJH was quick to rebound. It has since pushed higher, locking in new 2012 highs.
Small-cap stocks may seem like an obvious choice during periods of strong market action. However, as we have seen throughout the opening quarter of the year, they are not always the best. In this current market environment, mid-caps provide the best mixture of upside potential and safety. Investors considering a foray into risk should have a fund like IJH on the radar when planning their approach.-- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV