During the early-year run up, mid-cap stocks have actually led the pack. Investors who bought up shares of the iShares S&P Mid-Cap 400 Index Fund (IJH) have enjoyed nearly 15% gains.
In addition to this upside action, the fund also managed to hold up better in the face of last week's shakeup. Although it suffered a downturn as EU debt fears and China growth concerns dominated headlines, IJH was quick to rebound. It has since pushed higher, locking in new 2012 highs.
Small-cap stocks may seem like an obvious choice during periods of strong market action. However, as we have seen throughout the opening quarter of the year, they are not always the best. In this current market environment, mid-caps provide the best mixture of upside potential and safety. Investors considering a foray into risk should have a fund like IJH on the radar when planning their approach.-- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV