Natural gas could boast job production and put pressure on OPEC, said Jim Cramer. But Congress needs to get on board and that doesn't seem likely.
"You want to create jobs, go nat. gas. Open up a thousand gas stations and we will break OPEC. We will break OPEC. You switch to trains. Union Pacific is the largest user of diesel fuel in the world. They have, right now, West Port innovations is developing locomotives that would switch to natural gas. We could break OPEC in three years," Cramer said.
Yet, Congress has thrown its support behind other energy sources, failing to pass pro-natural gas legislation. Yesterday, the National Gas Act failed in Congress by six votes, Cramer said. The bill would have provided commercial truckers with a tax credit to turn in diesel burners and replace them with a costlier natural gas vehicle. These truckers use about 25% of imported oil in the U.S."They are anti-fossil fuel and so it doesn't jive with their battery fixation," Cramer said. But Cramer isn't sold on the safety of batteries. "My best friend is a junk dealer. He won't touch those batteries. He says that that's the next toxic, that the next EPA runaway Gowanus Canal. It's the love canal and people don't talk about that either," Cramer said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV