NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- Even the most budget-conscious people have overpaid for products at some point. Maybe it's because you just didn't care about paying a few extra bucks for something you needed, or perhaps you were in a hurry and didn't have time to shop around.
Or maybe you just didn't realize it was possible to get a better deal. There are several products habitually priced way too high -- higher than the company needs to make a profit margin and much higher than you could find it elsewhere, if only you knew where to look.
|Don't help companies make huge profit margins at your expense.|
Fortunately, we've got a pretty good idea of where to look. Here are several products you've probably overpaid for, along with tips on how you could have gotten it much cheaper.
High-Definition Multimedia Input cables are used to connect high-definition TVs to cable boxes, video game systems and set-top boxes, replacing the RCA cables (those red, yellow and white split cables) that once served that role for standard-definition televisions.
If the headphones or USB cable that came with your iPhone or iPod fails, you can get a free replacement at the Apple (AAPL) Store -- provided you got the AppleCare warranty. If you didn't, you're looking at $29 for the headphones, $19 for the way-too-short USB cable and another $29 for the adapter that lets you plug the cable into a wall socket for charging. Those accessories can be found for much cheaper elsewhere. My iPhone is plugged into my computer with a USB cable that costs $2.95, or you could get the connector and adapter bundled for $7.95 refurbished, a full $40 cheaper than you'd pay for both at the Apple Store. And you can get those earbuds -- complete with the remote and mic -- for $7.95 plus $2 shipping, though we've seen it even cheaper.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV