Of the 1,049 readers who voted in a poll by TheStreet, just 32.12%, or 337 of respondents voted, "Yes -- I'll buy anything Apple related."
There may be some hope, however, if Apple is able to make a 7.85-inch tablet, and not compromise on the user experience. More than 35% of voters said they might purchase a smaller iPad, but they would need to see it first. Rumors of a smaller iPad have persisted for months, and have grown stronger in recent days, as Apple gets set to sell its latest tablet on Friday.
Nearly a third of those who participated in the poll, 32.79%, agreed with former CEO Steve Jobs that a 7-inch tablet was "dead on arrival." Jobs once said during a 2010 earnings call that he didn't think the size was right for the software. "The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit [a lower] price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software."Amazon (AMZN) and Barnes & Noble (BKS) have shown that there is a demand for 7-inch tablets, but at significantly lower price points. Both Amazon's Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook are priced far lower than the iPad, but offer less features. Apple recently cut the price of its iPad 2 to $399, as it introduced a new iPad last week. Apple shares are surging in afternoon action, rising 4.4% to $593.17 at last check. The session's peak of $594.73 is yet another all-time high for the stock, which has soared more than 40% since the start of the year. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV