NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It takes an optimist to invest in natural gas-levered stocks right now.
The commodity is trading at decade-low prices, raising questions about whether some companies will be able to survive long enough to benefit from a resurgence that could take years to materialize. The reality though is that there are plenty of names that are well-positioned to stay alive through the wait.
There are wide-ranging forecasts for when the natural gas price catalysts will combine forces and drive domestic prices higher. But generally, analysts are leaning towards 2016 as the start of it. That's when Cheniere Energy Partners (CQP) is expected to begin commercial operations of a first-of-its-kind, $10 billion U.S. liquefied natural gas (LNG) export plant in Sabine Pass, La.
Private equity group Blackstone has already agreed to invest $2 billion towards the construction of the project. The first two of four gas liquefaction facilities at the site -- natural gas must be liquefied at extremely cold temperatures for ease of shipping overseas -- will cost up to $5 billion to build. Cheniere is planning to begin construction around April, pending final regulatory approval from the federal energy regulator and closing of the Blackstone financing agreement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV