The response from Verizon Wireless has been added to this story.
In an interview with Dow Jones Newswires, Verizon Wireless Chief Technical Officer David Small may have let slip Apple's next big announcement. He said for the rest of the year, Verizon would only release 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) smartphones. "By the end of the year, our plan is to be in at least 400 markets across the country," he added.
Verizon has had trouble getting users to adapt to its 4G network, despite the increase in speeds. Just 5% of the company's customers use the 4G network, but that could all change with an LTE iPhone.Apple made waves last week when it included 4G LTE in its new iPad, which many believe will allow for a much better user experience. Apple has refreshed its iPhone lineup annually since it was first introduced in 2007, and many expect a new version of the smartphone later this year, perhaps as early as June. Verizon Wireless declined to provide comment for this story. "That is a discussion you would have to have with Apple," added a spokeswoman, in an email to TheStreet. Apple could not immediately be reached for comment for this story. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture between Verizon (VZ) and Vodafone (AAPL). Shares of Apple are higher in Tuesday trading, up 2.67% to $583.25, while Verizon is up 0.63% to $39.73. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV