BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Industrial stocks aren't exactly the sexiest names on the market. More often than not, they're big and lumbering, they have extremely cyclical businesses, and those businesses are usually boring. But that's exactly why funds have been buying industrial stocks with both hands in the last few months.
Even though industrials don't have the obvious excitement that you'd find in an IPO name or a hot tech play, these stocks are still pretty exciting performance-wise. As a sector, they've rallied 21.2% in the last six months, beating the S&P 500 by 6.4% over that same period.
A lot of that success has to do with the anxiety in the marketplace right now. As investors look for ways to shake off risk, the relatively staid businesses (and dividend payouts) of industrials look like a pretty good way to participate in the rally we've gotten. That's why the sector was one of only three that funds increased their positions in during the final quarter of 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV