MetLife: S&P Intraday Laggard
The S&P 500 rose 2.18 points, or 0.16%, to 1,398.13, in trading Wednesday morning.
Shares of MetLife fell 4.38% to $37.73. The Federal Reserve rejected MetLife's capital plan on Tuesday.
MetLife CEO Steven Kandarian said he is "deeply disappointed with the Federal Reserve's announcement," and didn't "believe that the bank-centric methodologies used under the CCAR are appropriate for insurance companies, which operate under a different business model than banks."MetLife has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 6.74 times; the average for life insurance companies is 11.32. For comparison, Aflac (AFL) has a lower forward P/E of 6.53. Eighteen of the 23 analysts who cover Metlife rated it buy; five analysts gave the stock a hold rating. TheStreet Ratings gives Metlife a B grade with a buy rating and a $43.99 price target. The stock has risen 21.04% year to date.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alexandra Zendrian >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Alexandra Zendrian.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV