NEW YORK, March 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Harbinger Group Inc. ("HGI"; NYSE: HRG) announced today that it has filed a shelf registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Upon effectiveness of the shelf registration, funds affiliated with Harbinger Capital Partners LLC (together, the "HCP Funds"), stockholders of HGI, may sell in secondary offerings up to 25 million shares of their HGI common stock over the next three years. Pursuant to the same registration statement, HGI will be able to sell in primary offerings up to $75 million of its securities over the same period, which may consist of common stock, preferred stock, warrants or units.
At the present time, HGI has no specific plans to issue any securities under the registration statement. Omar Asali, HGI's President, said, "This shelf registration, once effective, will serve two purposes. First, it will provide the HCP Funds with an avenue to reduce their holdings of HGI common stock, should they choose to do so. Any offering of HGI common stock, should it be made, is expected to increase HGI's public float and diversify its shareholder base. Second, this will provide HGI with additional flexibility to finance business opportunities in the future, should they arise, which may include the financing of acquisitions that are consistent with our business strategy and are expected to enhance shareholder value."
Following the effectiveness of the shelf registration statement, HGI or the HCP Funds may periodically offer securities in amounts, at prices, and on terms to be announced when, and if, such securities are offered. The terms of any offering under the registration statement, and the intended use of the resulting net proceeds, will be established at the time of each offering and will be described, to the extent required by applicable rules of the SEC, in the prospectus supplement filed with the SEC at the time of such offering.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV