Nuvilex, Inc. (OTCQB: NVLX), an emerging biotechnology provider of cell and gene therapy solutions, discussed today the proprietary Cell-in-a-Box® technology, being acquired from SG Austria, that was used for the pancreatic cancer clinical trial and may have an effect on downstream micro metastatic disease.
The proprietary Cell-in-a-Box® technology capsules, when used in combination with cytochrome P450 expressing cells, can be placed at the tumor site so that the cells inside the capsule can convert the drug ifosfamide. When the patient is subsequently injected with the chemotherapeutic drug ifosfamide, the encapsulated cells transform this prodrug into its active form, which kills the pancreatic cancer cells.
It is extremely difficult to diagnose pancreatic cancer early on. Approximately 26% of people diagnosed have pancreatic cancer that spreads into the regions beside the tumor and 52% of patients have metastatic disease spread to regional lymph nodes and the liver. From trial and use data, for all pancreatic cancer stages combined there is only a 26% survival rate at 1 year, whereas using Cell-in-a-Box® technology in the phase 1/2 clinical trial the 1-year survival rate was 36%, double that of the standard Gemzar® therapy 1-year results of 18%.
The advantage of this approach is that pancreatic tumors are locally delivered high concentrations of active drug, allowing a decrease to only one-third of the standard amount of ifosfamide, reducing toxic side effects such as nausea, diarrhea, bone marrow suppression and weight loss. Due to the advanced stage most pancreatic cancers are found in, an important question has been whether the reduced amount of drug used can have an effect on the few pancreatic cancer cells, called micro metastases, which leave the primary tumor and are found in organs “downstream” from the original pancreatic tumor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV