A Healthier Hotel? It's More Than Adding a Gym
IHG estimates there are 17 million travelers who find it hard to stay active and eat right and say they "fall off the wagon" when they travel, said Christian Hempell, vice president of business development and delivery at IHG.
"Wellness is becoming a permanent lifestyle for many Americans..." he said. "They want to maintain their routines while traveling and not make any sacrifice."
And since, the concept of wellness means different things to different people, the EVEN brand will try to meet these needs in different ways.
Take exercise. The new hotels include not only gyms with equipment and group exercise activities, but also elements inside the guest rooms that can aid in a working out. This includes a coat rack that can double as a pull up bar, or luggage racks that can be used as weight benches, as well as tips for guests who prefer to exercise outside.And healthy food options will be available anytime, right alongside more indulgent treats. IHG plans to invest as much as $150 million over the next three years on the new brand. At first, the company will own and operate the hotels, but then it will continue its growth through its franchise model. Hempell declined to say where the first hotels would open, saying it would announce its plan in the second quarter of the year. However, markets such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C., Seattle, Minneapolis, Austin, and Atlanta should be very attractive markets for the brand, he said. IHG expects to have the first hotel open in the first part of 2013.
--Written by Christina Cheddar Berk at CNBC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV