4. Be Active About Passive
ETFs do most of the hard work for you by combining a full range of asset classes and global markets, but don't be passive. ETFs trade like stocks so adjust your exposure as needed.
5. Use Your Longevity
Realizing you are going to live longer means you can expand your investment horizon past the day you retire. For example, 50-year-olds should consider a 25-year time horizon, which means they can consider riskier assets like socks, commodities and alternatives. Your longevity will allow you to ride out market cycles.9 Oil, Gold Stocks That Rise on Bad News
Fink said in a speech to the Council on Foreign Relations that the financial community, corporations and governments need to unite to help make sure people are educated about investing for their long-term needs. As the 60% stocks, 40% bonds allocation is no longer relevant, "companies have a moral responsibility to educate their employees. Shifting from a defined benefit to a defined contribution plan doesn't absolve them of that responsibility." For more information, go to blackrock.com/newworld. --Written by Lindsey Bell in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Lindsey Bell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV